1. Remember "100% is possible 100% of the time".This is to say that there are almost always grocery stores (and now, even some convenience stores) with fresh fruits and vegetables. Keep it simple and be creative. This is how I came up with the recipe which combines avocado, kiwi, and pineapple.
2. On the road. Know before you go.Do your research on sites like Happy Cow.
Cooked Food and Raw Vegans: look for places where you know you can eat, especially if you're passing through or visiting a big city or an area with a college/university. Check out menus in advance.
Raw Vegans: be willing to settle for salad or maybe adding a little cooked food into your diet. (Order guacamole salad at a Mexican joint with corn tortillas. Combine with salsa. Yum. Or go for the Mediterranean place where you can get tabbouleh and hummus.)
3. Pack snacks.Cooked Food Vegans: Ezekiel Bread + Banana + Almond Butter = great food for the road.
Raw and Cooked Food Vegans: your own homemade granola bars (or if you don't have time for that, Pure Bars, Vega Bars, or Larabars). Your own homemade trail mix (or if you don't have time for that, look for store brands without sugar, candy, and additives). Your own homemade spiced nuts (or if you don't have time for that, Living Nutz). Your own homemade crackers (or if you don't have time for that, Go Raw or Mary's Gone Crackers). Apples and your favorite nut butter. An avocado and a side-salad from Wendy's goes a long way, especially if you're driving through the backwoods of the Carolina's. (If possible, pack your own salad dressing, but when traveling sometimes I make concessions because it's easier and I know that most of the time, my diet is really clean.)
4. For less stress, plan ahead. See tips 1, 2, and 3.
5. Save room for the Vita-Mix.Yes, when I'm road-tripping to a place with a kitchen and electricity and I'm going to be there for more than a weekend, I bring my Vita-Mix. Then, I make amazing foods for everyone.
Please post a comment if you have questions or more suggestions!
I plan to provide more tips, especially when traveling outside of the country.